Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Great Expectations

When we last left off, our central character Ji-Li was hurrying away from Junior High School sending an excuse to Teacher Zhang for not joining the Blackboard Newspaper Team. As she remembered her earlier Primary years she thought
"People were jealous of me because I was favored. I remembered the humiliating talk with the Red Successors, the terrible accusations of the da-zi-bao. Why should I go through that again?"
Ji-Li decides to run away from being the best and instead tries her best to be mediocre (being okay). Will she be able to be happy being mediocre? Would you?

Assignment #4 Due Thursday March 12
1. In your own words talk about Ji-Li's reasons for not joining the blackboard Newspaper team.

2. Respond to Ji-Li's decision to be mediocre instead of trying to excel, will she be happy being just 'okay'? Would you?

3. Have you ever purposely tried to be just 'okay' at something even if you knew you could do better? Is yes, describe the situation. If no, give possible reasons why a person might try to be bad at something.

4 comments:

  1. 1.the reason that i think that she doesnt want to join it is because she just got into junior high-school and she doesnt want anybody knowing that her grand father was landlord that way they dont criticide her and they dont start picking on her just like in the o;d school.

    2.i think that her being meedicore is better for her and her family because it a better decition on her be half...now if i was in the same situation that ji-li is in and my grandfather was a landlord i would play it cool to just like she is because i dont want no one picking on me...or telling me what i can or can not do just because of a stupid mistake my landlord of a grandfather.

    3.yes i have just to play it cool and be just like my friends...when i was in 4th grade i had friends that were way more dumber than i was and me jjst for them not to pick on me or teaste me i would act dumb like them and do dumb thing that way they couldn t say that i was cool...it was kinda boring when i knew a answer and i wouldnt say it just because i didnt want to seem like the smartest kid in class.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1.the reason that ji-li doesn't want to join the blackboard newspaper team is because last time in her old school she was asked to join the red successors and when she said yes and they called her name, one of her classmates Duh Hai started talking about her family status and that caused her to not be in the red successors.

    2.the fact that ji-li is being mediocre is good for her and her family...... but if i was in the situation that ji-li is now i would feel so messed up and it wouldn't feel right and also i would loose my temper.

    3.yes I would have to play it cool when I'm with my friends because when I'm playing sports I would have to be average normal and I wouldn't show off now if the situation was that my friend told me that I'm not good at it or i can't do it i would have to proove them wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ji li can not join because when people find out that she is in a black family. i just be fine being nomal because if you are to smart childs hate you and if you do bad teachers are going to hate you. yes cause the people you hang out with is bad at something you do not to show and make them fell bad i GOT GLASSES

    ReplyDelete
  4. ji li can no join because when people find out that shes in aa black family and thats gonn be bad i think.

    ReplyDelete